I have a brand sparkly new website. Have a squiz and let me know what you think! http://www.naturesmother.co.uk Here is an interesting little film on how amber forms http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/fossils/Amber#p00ckj8s
Is your amber teething necklace fake or real? July 3, 2013
There are lots of fake amber necklaces on the market. Some are plastic and some are Copal (immature resin). If you want the soothing effects of the succinic acid, you need the real deal.
Here are a few ways to test if amber is real:
- Drip a few drops of acetone (nail polish remover) on the amber. If the amber goes slightly sticky, or the acetone takes on the colour of the amber – your amber is almost definitely not real.
- Try burn your amber (I’m guessing you won’t want to do this on a lovely new necklace!) It will burn like incense and let off a wonderful piney smell. Copal will melt but smell similar to amber. Plastic will melt and smell like chemicals.
- I found a wonderful video on youtube to demonstrate this one…enjoy!!
Here at Nature’s Mother you’ll find some genuine beautiful amber necklaces. The baby necklaces are between 31 and 35cm in length, bracelets about 10cm, and each bead is individually knotted to prevent them all spilling off should it break. The adult necklaces are around 50cm in length.
Natural ways to calm a fussy or teething baby! December 20, 2012
Some ideas for calming a fussy baby:
- Get an amber teething necklace. Amber is a resin and works by releasing succinic acid, with it’s anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties, onto warm skin. Have a look at our lovely genuine Baltic amber necklaces here.
- Get some Nelsons Teetha – homeopathic camommila for teething.
- Wear baby in a soft comfy sling – babes love being close to mum or dads hearts. Choose a sling or carrier that spreads babies weight evenly over both your shoulders and has a support across the lower back (You can join your local slingmeet to test a few)
- Sing…babies don’t care if it’s off key, they love the sound of your voice
- Rock, pat, dance, talk gently
- Breastfeed -and don’t worry -babies can’t overfeed on the breast!
- Take baby for a walk (my three are complete nature babies, they nearly always settle when we take them outdoors)
- Drink chamomile tea..it’ll soothe your frazzled nerves, and if you’re breastfeeding it’ll work it’s magic on bubba too! (buying it loose leaf from a health food shop is cheapest, and you can get the quantity right – a teaspoon per cup)
- Put a pot of chamomile tea in baby’s bath. Being in water can also be comforting and soothing.
- Burn a couple of drops of lavender oil in an oil burner, or put a couple of drops in babys bath
- Gentle baby massage, if baby likes it!
The perfect gift for mum & baby this Christmas! December 17, 2011
Looking for something special for a baby or child for xmas? How about an amber teething necklace?!
They are £12.99 each and are made from genuine Baltic amber. They come in several different shades varying from ‘black’ to ‘sunshine’. There are matching ones for mums & dads too! Postage is FREE if you are in the UK!
To find out how amber works, to have a look at the various gorgeous designs, or to go to my online shop here
You can also find me on facebook here
Merry Christmas and a Happy new year to you all!
My gorgeous amber teething necklaces and amber necklaces for adults are now available in the Natural Stores in Helston & Falmouth, as well as Archie Browns in Truro. Watch this space, they will soon be easily available all over (I hope)!
There are many reports of amber helping to relieve many conditions in adults, including arthritis, headaches, injuries, muscular aches and pains, stress and much more. Succinic acid, which is absorbed into warm skin, is a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory and reduces teething pain and other symptoms associated with teething in babies.
I have had some such exciting feedback on the teething necklaces, of babies who’s eczema has cleared up, asthma reduced and have reduced crying and discomfort noticeably! It’s no wonder really that resin from ancient forests should be healing! Nature is amazing!
Buy them here
Top reasons to get a sling! August 11, 2011
I can honestly say that I think I’d be a terribly frustrated mum if I didn’t have my baby carriers! You do not have to get the most expensive, or even buy them new. Here is an excellent babywearing swap group where I got both my sling and my carrier second hand. You can even join your local Sling Meet and try a selection of different slings before deciding what to buy. Here are some top reasons to sling your baba:
- Baby loves nothing more than being close to you.
- In a sling baby can hear the heartbeat it has known throughout pregnancy.
- A sling reduces crying and reflux/colic symptoms
- There’s no trying to get awkward prams through shop doors or over bumpy ground
- You can keep up with your other child, and hold his/her hand, no stress
- You can still do household jobs using both hands!
- Your heartbeat helps regulate baby’s heartbeat
- Baby’s temperature is regulated and feels safe and calm closer to your body
- You can breastfeed on the move
- Your partner, family or friends have an opportunity to carry and be close to your baby too